Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Review: Fateful by Claudia Gray


Title: Fateful
Author: Claudia Gray
Pages: 328

Publisher: HarperCollins

A tragic tale about falling in love on the world’s most infamous ill-fated sea voyage as heroine, Tess, discovers darker secrets that lie beneath the doomed crossing… and a hidden brotherhood that threaten to tear her lover from her forever.

The RMS Titanic is the most luxurious ship ever built, but for eighteen-year-old Tess Davies it’s a prison. Travelling as a maid for the family she has served for years, Tess is trapped in their employ amid painful memories and family secrets.

When she meets Alec, a handsome upper class passenger, Tess falls helplessly in love. But Alec has secrets of his own… and soon Tess is entangled in a dangerous game. A sinister brotherhood that will do anything to induct Alec into their mystical order has followed him onboard. And Tess is now their most powerful pawn.

Tess and Alec fight the dark forces threatening to tear them apart, never realising that they will have to face an even greater peril before the journey is over…

New York Times best-selling author Claudia Gray delivers adventure, dark paranormal suspense, alluring romance, and a truly surprise ending, set against the opulent backdrop of the Titanic's first — and last — voyage


Description from Goodreads.com
___________________________________________________
*Note this review is based off the advanced readers copy of the book

A long time ago someone was getting rid of one of there ARC's (advanced reading copy) Naturally I jumped at the chance to get another book not only a book but an ARC which to me is just that extra special even if it's someones left overs. After my initial excitement I put it on my shelf and forgot about it for the longest time and this week I finally picked it up.

Claudia Gray's other series named Evernight. That I have read an enjoyed so I was excited to see how this one would be. I mean werewolves on the Titanic come on that screams awesome to me. I was so excited to see how she would make it work. And she nailed it! It totally worked werewolves now seem to belong on the Titanic not some two obscure subjects combined.

The setting is the Titanic and is wonderfully described a rich setting. The werewolves in the book are also well thought out and the author also adds the element of a brotherhood as a threat which I found really cool. I'll say no more on it as to not spoil anything.

The characters where also very well built and had a lot of depth to them.  I got attached to them but not as much as I could have. The main character started off as someone I wasn't sure I liked she was quiet followed the rules and got stepped on. But as the story moved on she grew on me and she grew some balls which was hugely satisfying when some certain people got what they deserved.

 When the story reaches its eventual conclusion and we all know what that is or at least a part of it. It is heartbreaking and yet all okay in then end. I say this yes just to make more suspense and encourage you to read the book. It was really a great book and with a great setting,characters and story.

Rating: 3 1/2 - 4 stars



Quotes:

“Nobody else will ever be able to save me if I’m not fighting as hard as I can to save myself.”
Fateful- Claudia Gray


“You’re strong enough to stand up to anyone. Smart enough to do anything you want. Don’t sell yourself
short; don’t be afraid of what your new life is going to offer. Because I know—if there’s any justice in this
world, good things are going to come to you. Better things than you ever dreamed.”

Fateful- Claudia Gray

“I wonder how much of the rest of his clothes I could convince him to take off, then wonder where that thought came from.
Well I guess I know.”  

Fateful- Claudia Gray

“Beauty is no guarantee of goodness.” 
Fateful- Claudia Gray
 

Thanks for reading

Aurelia<3

No comments:

Post a Comment