Thursday, 25 September 2014

Die for me by Amy Plum

Title: Die for me
Author: Amy Plum
Pages: 341
Publisher: Harper Teen
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again

Description taken from Goodreads.com
______________________________________________
Die for me by Amy Plum where to start I've been wanting to read this book for a while. I was postponing it because from the description it seemed like it was about two sisters and I assumed it would be one of those books where the big sister did everything to protect her younger sister (which isn't bad just not my favorite kind of book).
But I was wrong it is not one of those books in fact the main character is the younger sister.The second misconception I had and I'm not sure where it came from was that this book was about how the guy was destined to die for those he loved or the girl was something like that.And again that's completely not what it is. So I finally decided to start it and then I read the prologue and for some reason that just turned me off completely from this book the prologue made me not want to read the book so I once again put it aside. A week later I picked it up again determined to forget about the prologue and give it a try .And for me that was exactly the right thing to do. Personally I suggest you just skip the prologue because you aren't missing anything the same passage is repeated in the story at the appropriate time.

So after all this I have to say I really enjoyed this book it was great.It was not what I was expecting at all in a good way.It is a new kind of paranormal being that I have not seen before in YA books. And there really awesome.

The first thing I want to mention is the one thing I didn't particularly like. The world of the Revenants is very well built and the description of Paris is also very well done the only thing that is not well done in my opinion is the use of the french language.
I am completely bilingual and have gone to a french school for all my education,I don't live in France but Canada. So the the french is slightly different here In Canada than in France. But not much A bit like U.S English and Australia English. Some slight word differences and an accent that is all. So I can confidently say that the use of french is flawed on more than one place the biggest oops the author did on my opinion was the word, (which basically is what the story is centered around) Revenants.
The Main character Kate is supposedly completely fluent in french but when she hears the word Revenant she automatically says. " I know the word it means Ghost in french" Um no it doesn't. It really doesn't. Ghost in french is Fantôme definitely not revenants.
The character number two in the room with her who is supposed to be from France says "If you actually go back to the root of the word, it actually means 'one who returns' or 'one who comes back'"  Uh no not the root of the word that's just what it means.
That really frustrated me because it is completely false. I told my friend the other day at school. And we both laughed well at it.
Here is me using what Amy Plum thought meant Ghost in phrases with direct translations.(I'm not doing this to mock the author only to show my point)
 Oh mon Dieu tu est aussi pâle que un revenants (OH my god you are as pale as coming back). Crois tu au revenants.(Do you believe in coming back) Jais vue un revenants!( I saw a coming back!). Here are phrases me and my aforementioned friend who doesn't even speak English just french might actually use it on. Ok, alors en revenant du supermarcher. ( Ok, so coming back from from the super market.) Revient ici s'il vous plait (Come back here please (use of the present tense of the verb revenir )). So ghost do "come back" but here in Canada at least it certainly doesn't mean ghost. That was only example one there was more. Because this book is in first person and that the main character supposedly has perfect french than why those she get those things wrong?

Ok apart from that though the book was really good. The characters where all endearing the plot was interesting and well placed and the romance was soooo sweet. Also the paranormal aspect was also really cool and I want to know more about them in the sequel!
Kate the main character was good she had a good head on her shoulders even though two decisions she made in the book got on my nerves (which I won't tell you as not to spoil it). That's only 2 decisions for the rest of the book she is smart and likable.

Rating:  4.5 stars



Quotes:


“Stop flaunting your impeccable language skills, Vincent, help the girl to her feet and let her take her leave”
Die for me - Amy Plum

“So is this a habit of yours, leaving your bag behind in order te strike up a conversation?" He grinned and nodded at the bench where I had been sitting. Lying beneath it was my book bag. "Wouldn't it be easier to just walk up to a guy and say hello?”  
Die for me - Amy Plum


 “I had feared that love would make me vulnerable. Instead I felt empowered.”  
Die for me - Amy Plum

“You've heard of vampires?"
I nodded.
"You've heard of werewolves?"
"Of course."
"Had you ever heard of us?"
I shook my head.
"That's called 'staying under the radar,' dear Kate. It's what we're good at.”  

Die for me - Amy Plum 
 












Thanks for reading


Aurelia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment